Game / Level designer
PC, PS5, XBOX series X
Unreal Engine 5
Jan 2021 - Present
During my internship at Warcave I was able to start a new project and create the proof of concept prototype. After I got the job to continue to work on the project to the next milestone, the vertical slice. Because this project is under NDA I am unable to elaborate much.
- Blueprinting/scripting prototype mechanics for both level and gameplay.
- Prototyping the core loop of the game and technical systems.
- Level and game feature implementation.
- Creating level blockouts and content creation pipeline.
- Establish a game vision by following the fun
- Art asset validation and implementation.
- Supporting a team through the concepting and vertical slice phases of development
Blueprinting/scripting prototype mechanics
Some of the things I kept in mind when working at Warcave in a prototype setting:
- Following the fun and having an almost onion like design, where we start small and start adding layers with weekly playtesting.
- Keeping a quick and iterative approach.
- Starting with the minimum playable version and start working from there, find the fun and start building on that.
- Setting up my work in a collaborative way and keeping items separate to keep an organised and clear environment.
- Keep code dry, simple and to the point, so everyone can understand and work with it. Separate concerns and make it modular and reusable.
I worked a lot with a variety of data structures, events, blueprint / code communication, raycasting, simulations and more. As it is a prototype do not solely get it working, I also try to find the errors you will encounter later in development or learn how to do it properly in the production project.
Creating levels and content
- Started with researching the time period of the game and reference titles.
- Create 3 levels, one which is very complex and will showcase errors you will find in production, one gameplay map, which resembles the gameplay you aim for, this is a smaller map as you will make many iterations and one test level in which new features get tested.
- Get all 3 levels fully playable will all prototype features in it.
- Sync up with the art team and start setting up a production pipeline keeping in mind all errors and issues you found when creating the levels.
- Start to filter with the level and experimentation, create different gameplay maps and look for elements the player finds fun.